We all know that screen addiction can be a problem for kids (and, well, adults too). But how do you handle things when one kid has a device (and invariably goes face down in it) and the other doesn’t? In Episode 5 of Edit Your Life, Asha and I address how to handle the device divide. And if you haven't done so yet, listen to our episodes on simplifying back to school, conquering procrastination, why it's awesome to edit your life, and school lunch solutions! We'd love to keep you company while you commute, do laundry, etc.!
Here’s how to listen!
- Via the web. Hit the "play" button on the podcast player embedded below.
- Via an app. For iPhones and iPads, use the purple Podcasts app. For Android devices, use the Stitcher, Podcast Addict, or Pocket Casts apps. In all cases, launch the app, then search for Edit Your Life. Benefit of using an app: once downloaded, you can listen to the show without an Internet connection.
If you're not seeing the Soundcloud player, you can listen to Episode 5 directly on Soundcloud.
And here are links to things/people/resources we mentioned during the podcast:
- Minimalist Parenting
- NY Times article on screen addition taking a toll on kids
- NY Times article on how to cut screen time
- 12 ways to manage screen time for kids (Boston Mamas)
- Liz Gumbinner and Kristen Chase of Cool Mom Picks and Cool Mom Tech
- Spawned podcast episode about screen time
- How to manage screen time by using a marble jar (Cool Mom Tech)
- Thoughts on too much screen time (Parent Hacks)
- On tying video game “currency” to chores (Parent Hacks)
- Manic Mommies (our pioneer friends in podcasting)
- DeviantArt (the “digital gallery” site Asha’s daughter uses)
- Autodesk Sketchbook Pro 7 (the program Asha’s daughter uses to create digital art)
- Christine and Asha on Instagram
- Lucrecer Braxton of Shoot Every Damn Day + Hello Friend podcast
- Type-A Parent Conference
- Example of a cell phone agreement/contract (Boston Mamas)
- Gazelle: device trade in service
We want to hear from you!
Tell us how you have negotiated the device divide with your kids. Share via your favorite social profile with the hashtag #EditYourLifeShow and let us give you a fist bump, or possibly a unicorn. You can also find us on the Edit Your Life Facebook page, or e-mail us at email@example.com. If you found our show helpful, we’d be so grateful if you’d leave a review on iTunes!
Interested in becoming an Edit Your Life episode sponsor?
We’ve got an awesome range of lifestyle/parenting/productivity topics in the queue for future episodes. If you’d like to discuss episode sponsorship, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org!