16 Fun Places to Sled in the Boston Area
Today, Katy shares inspiration to get out and sled:
The string of recent storms inspired us to shake the cobwebs off of our snow tubes and toboggans for some great sledding. Below includes some of my favorite sledding spots in my old neighborhood around Watertown as well as other recommendations from the Boston Mamas community. Share your favorite sledding spots in the comments below!
1. Robbins Farm Park (Arlington) is a classic, with a sweeping view of Boston and a long, steep hill for great big kid thrills.
2. The Arlington Boys & Girls Club (Arlington) offers a short, steep incline with plenty of spin out room on the field.
3. Grove Street (Belmont) at the intersection of Grove Street and Huron Avenue offers a more gentle hill, close to a playground.
5. Larz Anderson Park (Brookline) is a favorite, with huge hills that are awesome to sled down and challenging to climb back up.
6. David Nunes Park (Cambridge) is a smaller -- but still fun -- hill for little ones.
7. Kingsley Park Hill (Cambridge) at Fresh Pond received repeat recommendations.
8. Danehy Park (Cambridge) is one of Cambridge's favorite sledding spots.
9. Williams Hill (Harvard) is a bit further afield and highly recommended.
10. Sugar Bowl (Jamaica Plain) at Riverway @ Perkins Street is a great spot for serious sledders.
11. Tower Hill (Medford) is a popular spot for Medford residents.
12. Tufts University (Medford) is another favorite in Medford.
13. Needham High School (Needham) offers a fun hill that runs down from the school to the football field.
14. Lowell School (Watertown), at the intersection of Orchard Street and George Street, is one of my old favorites.
15. Casey Playground (Watertown) on Watertown Street is a great spot with a big landing area.
16. Mullan Field (Winchester) across from Wright Locke Farm offers a steep and exciting incline. Added bonus: adjacent parking lot.
*ADDITIONAL PICKS: Also, editor Christine Koh just learned about this Boston Magazine feature on sledding spots in Boston; it includes some of the picks shared here, and several others in Roslindale, Jamaica Plain, Southie, and more.
Have fun sledding! And don't forget supplies for the backpack:
- Lip balm
- Extra mittens
- Snack and drink
- Towels to keep the car seats dry on the way home
Image credits: Christine Koh