Birthday parties ought to be fun, but for many parents, kids birthday parties have evolved into expensive, exhausting, and grump-inducing events. (I'm speaking from experience as a recovering grumped out, giant birthday party hostess!) In Episode 9 of Edit Your Life, Asha and I share 8 tips to help you get past the birthday party “shoulds,” tune into what you and your kids actually enjoy, and keep celebrations focused on the fun, not the stress.
It's super easy to listen right through this blog post or via an app on your device. Here's how!
- Via the web. Hit the "play" button on the podcast player embedded below.
- Via an app. For iPhones and iPads, use the purple Podcasts app. For Android devices, use the Stitcher, Podcast Addict, or Pocket Casts apps. In all cases, launch the app, then search for Edit Your Life. Benefit of using an app: once downloaded, you can listen to the show without an Internet connection.
If you're not seeing the Soundcloud player, you can listen to Episode 9 directly on Soundcloud.
And here are links to things/people/resources we mentioned during the podcast:
- Minimalist Parenting (in which we talk more about parties and celebrations)
- Minimalist birthday parties (via Boston Mamas)
- 7 ways to simplify birthday parties (via Boston Mamas)
- 5 tchotchke-free party favors (via Boston Mamas)
- Taking the stress out of kids’ birthday parties (part of our stress-less parenting workshop on the Huffington Post)
- How to unspoil your kids -- or keep them from becoming spoiled (via Boston Mamas)
- Rainbow cake (The most fun Christine has ever had with food coloring; a unicorn is involved)
- Cake for a crowd (Christine’s go-to recipe when she needs to make cake for a lot of people)
- More cake happiness (via Christine’s Instagram account)
- Opening presents after the party is over? Capture the moment for the thank you note (Sweet middle ground for kids who can't yet handle the social complexities of opening gift in front of a crowd of friends, via Parent Hacks.)
- Birthday party guidelines for sane parents (Parent Hacks)
- A tip for helping young kids involved in writing thank you notes (Parent Hacks)
- And many more great birthday party tips at Parent Hacks
We want to hear from you!
Share how you’re going to simplify your next birthday party via your favorite social profile with the hashtag #EditYourLifeShow and let us give you a fist bump, or possibly a unicorn. You can also find us on the Edit Your Life Facebook page, or e-mail us at email@example.com. If you found our show helpful, we’d be so grateful if you’d leave a review on iTunes!
Interested in becoming an Edit Your Life episode sponsor?
We’ve got an awesome range of lifestyle/parenting/productivity topics in the queue for future episodes. If you’d like to discuss episode sponsorship, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Image credits: thumbnail via Pixabay; Edit Your Life graphics by Christine Koh