Fluffy Brussels Sprouts
I never thought I’d “make friends” with brussels sprouts but as I wandered the aisles of Trader Joe’s last week, I noticed that my friend (and TJ’s employee) John was buying brussels sprouts. John and I love to talk about food and share recipes, so I thought he might be able to offer ideas for how to use these little cabbages. Lo and behold, he gave me an idea that I rushed home to try and we loved the results; sweet and a little salty, with none of the residual bitter flavor that I normally associate with brussels sprouts.
Fluffy Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- 1 package or stalk of brussels sprouts
- Butter (more tastes better, of course)
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 red onion or 1-2 large shallots
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Use a knife or the shredding blade in your Cuisinart to shred brussels sprouts and red onion or shallots.
- Melt butter in a skillet and add in olive oil. Add shredded brussels sprouts and onions/shallots to the skillet.
- Sauté for 12-18 minutes. The brussels sprouts will shrink down and may caramelize a little (which is delicious!). Be sure to stir often so the bottom doesn’t burn.
Image credit: Pixabay.com