Edit Your Life Episode 129: How To Teach Kids Life Skills
Summer is the ideal time for your kids to learn real-world life skills no matter how old they are. And judging by the viral popularity of our recent “100 Life Skills You Can Teach Your Kids in 5 Minutes or Less” list, people want to get started. In Episode 129 of the Edit Your Life podcast, Asha and I follow up on the list with practical tips for how to teach kids life skills. We talk about the importance of frustration tolerance, how to nudge to reluctant kids to learn, the reality that kids sometimes learn more readily from other adults, and the welcome reminder that it’s never too late to start.
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Minimalist Parenting (our book)
- 100 Life Skills You Can Teach Your Kids in 5 Minutes or Less graphic (so far, shared over 1500 times and seen by over 185K people!)
- Life Skills printable PDF
- Our Facebook Live video about intentional summer (when #toiletlifeskills made its first public appearance)
- Lady Bird (wonderful movie to watch with older teens; see the Common Sense Media review for guidance)
- Coinstar (kiosks for collecting change)
- Related: Episode 26: How To Get Kids To Do Chores
- Related: Episode 32: Letting Kids Experience Risk
- Related: Episode 65: Decluttering With Kids
- Related: Episode 122: Helping Teens Thrive [guest interview with Ken Ginsburg]
Question Of The Week
What life skill do you most want your kids to learn this summer? Join the discussion on the Edit Your Life Facebook page (look for the Question Of The Week post pinned to the top of the page).
Get In Touch
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Talk to us on Instagram or Twitter using #EditYourLifeShow
Interested in sponsorship?
We’ve got an awesome range of lifestyle, parenting and productivity topics in the queue for future episodes. If you’d like to discuss sponsoring an episode, email us at email@example.com.
Catch up on previous episodes
Here’s a complete listing of every episode.