Edit Your Life Episode 94: Raising Tech Positive Kids
Ours is the first generation of parents to raise “digitally native” kids who’ve grown up using technology. As such, many of us struggle to balance the benefits of screen time with its many challenges, especially when it comes to our families. How do we set limits while embracing the best technology has to offer? How do we maintain a dialogue with our kids about screen time when they seem to understand it better than we do?
In Episode 94 of Edit Your Life, Asha interviews Devorah Heitner, author of Screenwise: Helping Kids Survive and Thrive in Their Digital World. Asha and Devorah talk about how managing screen time starts with trusting yourself, the “mentoring vs. monitoring” approach, and steps you can take to create a more “tech positive” atmosphere in your family. Asha and I also share how screen time is playing out in our families.
Resources mentioned in this episode
- At Amazon: Screenwise: Helping Kids Survive and Thrive in Their Digital World (Routledge, 2016), by Devorah Heitner
- Devorah’s website Raising Digital Natives
- Raising Digital Natives Facebook Community
- “Don’t monitor, mentor.” (Austin Statesman interview with Devorah)
- Minimalist Parenting (the book which Christine and Asha co-authored, and which inspired this podcast)
- TracFone (the mobile phone option Christine and Jon chose for their daughter)
- Edit Your Life Episode 72: Minimalist Parenting
- Edit Your Life: Episode 19: The Upside of Electronics
Question Of The Week
What’s your best tip for managing electronics in your family? Join the discussion on the Edit Your Life Facebook page (look for the Question Of The Week post).
Contribute to Our 100th Episode!
For our 100th episode we want to do something special. We'd love to hear your voices in our ears (and also help you edit your life) so we’re planning a rapid fire episode where we address as many listener questions as possible. Record your question as a voice memo on your iPhone or voice recording app for Android and email it to email@example.com by September 30!
Get In Touch
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Talk to us on Instagram or Twitter using #EditYourLifeShow
Interested in sponsorship?
We’ve got an awesome range of lifestyle, parenting and productivity topics in the queue for future episodes. If you’d like to discuss sponsoring an episode, email us at email@example.com.
Catch up on previous episodes
Here's a complete listing of every episode.