8 Things To Do Following Charlottesville
I originally was planning on talking about low-stress back-to-school prep for this week’s live broadcast, but that wasn’t sitting well with me in the face of Charlottesville. Here are 8 things that are top of mind for me in terms of what we need to do next both individually and for our communities. Links to articles and resources I mentioned are below the video. Thank you for taking the time to think about --and act on -- the tough stuff.
Stuff I mentioned during the livestream
- The Day I Was Told To Leave America (It Was Just Last Week) (Boston Mamas)
- Denene Millner of My Brown Baby
- Maybe Now Isn’t The Time, Guys (The Root)
- Southern Poverty Law Center Hate Map
- How To Talk To Your Kids About The Violence In Charlottesville (LA Times)
- Places to donate (just to name a few): SPLC, NAACP, ACLU
- Yes, You’re Racist (on Twitter)
- Yes This Is Racism (John Pavlovitz)
- A Primer on Responding to Hate in Your Backyard (500 Pens) *I learned about this article after the live broadcast and it is so helpful -- and helped inform my thinking about rallies, which I mentioned at the beginning of the broadcast.