Meals Made Easy: Balsamic Orange Chicken
In a meal rut? Need some lightning fast inspiration? (I feel like I've been eating a lot of salads and quesadillas these days...) Today, Jules (also of In The Kitchen Catering & Food Delivery shares the next installment in our Meals Made Easy series (be sure to give this easy roasted shrimp with veggies dish a try if you haven't already!). Enjoy this simple and delicious recipe for balsamic orange chicken:
Balsamic Orange Chicken
- Two whole chicken breasts (skinless is healthier but the skin is delicious here so splurge and keep it!)
- Salt, pepper, and olive oil
- Granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 orange marmalade or other citrus jelly (whatever brand you like)
- One can artichoke hearts, artichokes quartered (avoid the pre marinated kind)
- Chives, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Liberally salt and pepper each side of the chicken breasts. Sprinkle each with a pinch of sugar (this step really helps crisp the skin). Whisk together the balsamic vinegar and orange marmalade; add a few tablespoons of water or chicken stock to thin and set aside.
2. Heat up a pan with olive oil. Sear the chicken breasts, skin side down, until golden brown. Flip the breasts in the pan. Lower the heat and deglaze (clean the bottom of) the pan with balsamic vinegar/marmalade mixture.
3. Add artichoke hearts to pan and baste. Baste the skin side of the chicken, now facing up, with the liquid and place in a 350 degree oven to finish cooking (about 8 minutes depending on thickness). Finish with fresh chopped chives for color and a good bite.
Image credit: orange marmalade via FreeDigitalPhotos.net