How to Prevent the Summer Slide
We're still in school for two more weeks (yes, we used up every single snow day this winter) but many kids are already out of school and many parents are fretting about the summer slide. Here's my take on it: I think summer for kids should include plenty of free and open time for play and I think kids can keep learning in fun ways to prevent the slide. Here are some wonderful back posts for inspiration on how to go about doing that across the major school subjects.
1. Here's background on the concept of the summer slide (or slump).
2. This post on READING will give you ideas on where to source books and how to identify the right reading level for your child.
3. Preschooler to fifth grader MATH fun is everywhere!
4. Take advantage of local historical sites and community attractions to garner valuable SOCIAL STUDIES lessons.
5. I love these creative ways to encourage your child's WRITING skills.
6. Learn the basics of how to create SCIENCE learning opportunities for your kids, plus some kitchen + backyard science ideas.