Edit Your Life Episode 93: Helping Kids Handle Disappointment
We all know intellectually that kids learn from challenges, and they grow stronger and have more self-confidence when they learn to navigate those challenges. But when you’re actually going through it it’s hard, as a parent, to watch your kid struggle. It’s also hard to identify where the line is between reasonable struggle and a real need for help. In Episode 93 of Edit Your Life, Asha and I share 8 tips for how parents can help kids handle disappointment while not hovering.
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Minimalist Parenting
- Episode 72: Minimalist Parenting
- Episode 91: Taking A Stand Against Hate
- Episode 87: Why Kids Should Get Jobs
- Episode 79: The Joy of Teens & Tweens
- Episode 35: Teaching Kids About Money
- Episode 32: Letting Kids Experience Risk
- 13 Things I Want for My Teenager (Christine wrote this in honor of her daughter, Laurel’s 13th birthday)
Question Of The Week
When did you experience an initial disappointment that later opened the door to something positive? Join the discussion on the Edit Your Life Facebook page (look for the Question Of The Week post).
Contribute to Our 100th Episode!
For our 100th episode we want to do something special. We'd love to hear your voices in our ears (and also help you edit your life) so we’re planning a rapid fire episode where we address as many listener questions as possible. Record your question as a voice memo on your iPhone or voice recording app for Android and email it to email@example.com by September 30!
Get In Touch
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Talk to us on Instagram or Twitter using #EditYourLifeShow
Interested in sponsorship?
We’ve got an awesome range of lifestyle, parenting and productivity topics in the queue for future episodes. If you’d like to discuss sponsoring an episode, email us at email@example.com.
Catch up on previous episodes
Here's a complete listing of every episode.