Edit Your Life Episode 95: Parenting Siblings
The challenge of parenting siblings takes many of us by surprise. There’s no such thing as “normal” when it comes to how siblings relate to each other, or to how the family system changes as more personalities are added to the mix. And then there’s the added layer of family history: how our own sibling stories influence our parenting choices.
In Episode 95 of Edit Your Life, Asha and I respond to a listener’s question about parenting siblings, sharing 9 tips for understanding and supporting kids both as siblings and individuals, handling sibling conflict, and dealing with personal sibling baggage that may be impacting how your parent your kids.
Resources mentioned in this episode
- At Amazon: Minimalist Parenting (Christine and Asha’s book...which inspired this podcast)
- At Amazon: Siblings Without Rivalry by Adele Faber & Elaine Mazlish (a great book by the authors of another excellent book, How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk)
- Related episode: Episode 58: Improving Relationship Communication (guest interview with Jonathan Baxter)
- Episode 28: Learning To Compromise Well (guest interview with Jonathan Baxter)
- Related episode: Episode 72: Minimalist Parenting
Question Of The Week
What do sibling relationships look like in your family? Join the discussion on the Edit Your Life Facebook page (look for the Question Of The Week post).
Contribute to Our 100th Episode!
For our 100th episode we’d love to hear your voices in our ears (and also help you edit your life) so we’re planning a rapid fire episode where we address as many listener questions as possible. Record your question as a voice memo on your iPhone or voice recording app for Android and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 30!
Get In Touch
- Email us at email@example.com
- Talk to us on Instagram or Twitter using #EditYourLifeShow
Interested in sponsorship?
We’ve got an awesome range of lifestyle, parenting and productivity topics in the queue for future episodes. If you’d like to discuss sponsoring an episode, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Catch up on previous episodes
Here's a complete listing of every episode.