Edit Your Life Episode 105: Editing Your Holiday Gift List
High fives to our episode sponsor ChopChop Magazine! ChopChop is an award-winning cooking magazine designed to inspire and teach children and families to cook and eat real food together. For a limited time, order a 1-year subscription to ChopChop Magazine and get a ChopChop apron, for just $35!
The holiday shopping season is upon us, which, for many, kicks off a bizarre cascade of delight, frustration, overwhelm, and stress. We love to give presents...but we’re also trying to stick to a budget...and our friends are trying to declutter, just like we are...but we want to express our love and it’s fun to give gifts...but, and, but, and, but...you get the picture. Holiday gifting can be complicated!
In Episode 105 of Edit Your Life, Asha and I share 8 tips for editing your holiday gift list without tamping down your generosity, including perspective shifts to help you refocus on connection instead of obligation, how to get organized, clutter-free (and in some cases, virtually cost-free) gift alternatives including gifts that give back, plus tips for communicating with your family so everyone’s gift expectations are on the same page.
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Ep. 102: Editing in Gratitude
- Related episode: Ep. 13: Raising Readers (Guilt-Free)
- 30 Upcoming Holiday Fairs In Massachusetts (Boston Mamas)
- 13 Things I Want For My Teenager (Boston Mamas)
- Gift ideas that simplify holiday shopping or don’t require shopping at all (click for Asha's homemade chai concentrate recipe)
- Etsy (source for indie gifts)
- Minimalist Parenting (our book)
- Brave New World Designs (Christine and Jon’s advocacy-oriented tees; click the link for a 15% holiday discount through Friday, 12/8)
- Cool Mom Picks Holiday Gift Guide (Liz & Kristen source great indie gifts)
- Inspiring holiday ornaments, decor and cards (100% profits benefit Puerto Rico hurricane relief)
- Obama: An Intimate Portrait by Pete Souza (Christine only wants two things for Christmas, and this is one of them!)
Question Of The Week
What’s the best gift you’ve ever received? Join the discussion on the Edit Your Life Facebook page (look for the Question Of The Week post pinned to the top of the page).
Get In Touch
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Talk to us on Instagram or Twitter using #EditYourLifeShow
Interested in sponsorship?
We’ve got an awesome range of lifestyle, parenting and productivity topics in the queue for future episodes. If you’d like to discuss sponsoring an episode, email us at email@example.com.
Catch up on previous episodes
Here's a complete listing of every episode.