It's strawberry season and man, nothing reminds you of the power and beauty of farms like biting into fresh, seasonal produce! Today I'm thrilled to share a guide to 11 Massachusetts strawberry festivals (9 of them are this weekend!) and tomorrow I'll share a pick-your-own post. And once you have your haul, here are 8 awesome strawberry recipes. Enjoy, and feel free to share your strawberry festival photos on the Boston Mamas Facebook page!
* WEEKEND OF JUNE 20 *
2. The Braintree Farmer’s Market (Braintree) features strawberry shortcake provided by C.N. Smith Farm, Inc. (East Bridgewater) at Strawberry Fest on June 20. Lots of other strawberry treats will be available, along with fresh-picked local strawberries.
3. Verrill Farm (Concord) has a strawberry festival June 20 that features pick-your-own strawberries, a dessert contest, strawberry shortcake, free entertainment, hay rides and pony rides. Return on June 23 for a baking class and learn to make three delicious strawberry desserts!
4. Connors Farm (Danvers) offers strawberry picking and a Strawberry Festival in one spot on June 20. Head down for live music, barbecue, hayrides, strawberry shortcake, farm animals, duck races, pedal carts and more.
6. Wilson Farm (Lexington) doesn’t offer pick-your-own but this weekend’s strawberry festival is the farm’s 30th and will include plenty of strawberry sampling, in addition to family-friendly entertainment.
9. Westford hosts its 40th annual Strawberry & Arts Festival this weekend, with great food, fun crafts and musical entertainment.
* WEEKEND OF JUNE 27 *
10. Russell Orchards and Winery (Ipswich) features a Strawberry Festival June 27-28. They'll have strawberry picking, hay rides, pony rides, wine tasting, live music, and lots of strawberry treats.
* WEEKEND OF JULY 4 *