It's not entirely uncommon for me to wake up on a Saturday morning and realize that my son is scheduled to attend a birthday party later that day. I imagine I'm not the only one who has encountered this scenario, right? Thankfully, there's no shortage of independent stores in almost every corner of the city of Boston that are replete with great last-minute selections. Here are seven of my favorites...and bonus points if you pick up something for the next birthday party that's coming your way!
1. Color Wheel Collection in Roslindale is known for their unique, local, handmade items as well as their gorgeous children's clothing collection.
2. Nestled in the heart of Jamaica Plain just off Centre Street is the über eco-friendly Hatched, where you can find any number of sustainably manufactured goodies.
3. Try Coco Baby in the South End for fresh and innovative toys and gear.
4. Olivia Browning in Charlestown offers a great selection of gifts spanning all ages and also for the home.
5. Looking for cute things for babies (and yourself) in the North End? Shake the Tree has you covered.
6. Beacon Hill's The Red Wagon offers a lovely selection of clothing, books, toys, and shoes.
7. Find all your Bla-Bla dolls and more at Lester Harry's in Back Bay.
Do you have other favorite local indie shop recommendations? Feel free to share in the comments below!
Image credit: LIKEaBIKE Hopper Basket via Lester Harry's