Today, Jules shares a recipe perfect for Super Bowl Sunday (or any day really):
Between my husband's enthusiasm for football and mine for good food, Super Bowl Sunday is like a national holiday in our house. Chili is a Super Bowl staple and it's an easy crowd pleaser because it's typically a one pot meal that can feed a hungry crowd. Most often prepped with fatty ground meat, loads of cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips, I'm tweaking tradition here and whipping up a reduced fat white chicken chili that is a treat for the eyes but also a really unexpected and refreshing surprise for the palate; all while staying true to those chili roots and remaining a heady and satisfying one pot meal. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cups roasted and salted almonds
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 slice toasted whole wheat bread
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 jalepeno pepper, finely diced
- 1 small can green chili peppers
- 1 teaspoon, ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1.5 pounds shredded chicken (white meat)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannelini (white) beans, drained
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine*
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ nonfat Greek yogurt
- Shredded smoked cheese (gruyere works beautifully)
- Fresh cilantro
- Sliced lime
- In very large stockpot, heat oil on low heat. While oil heats, puree almonds, garlic, and toast to a fine puree. Add a tablespoon of water if it needs a little moisture to process. Add this paste to the hot oil and stir well for about 20 seconds.
- Add onion, celery, jalepeno, canned chili peppers, cumin, coriander, and cayenne pepper. Cook for just another minute. Add shredded chicken, beans, broth, and wine. Cook partially covered for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon into bowls and top with a dollop of yogurt, a touch of shredded cheese, fresh cilantro, and a squeeze and slice of lime.
*Note: The wine does cook off, but if you'd rather not use wine in this dish, you can replace the wine with 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar.
Image credit: Rainbow chili print by PragyaK via Etsy